Hillsborough Community College Hosts Courageous Conversations Speaker Series
January 27 Event Details:
Courageous Conversations: Immigration Awareness
Wednesday, January, 27, 2016
SouthShore Campus Pavilion
11:45 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
This event will examine immigration. Undocumented students continue to face challenges regarding their future. The American Immigration Council reports that “in the past decade 65,000 undocumented students graduated from American high schools annually” and are hindered in their ability to pursue higher education and/or other opportunities. This has resulted in serious social and economic disparities. The panelists of leaders in the community will present varied perspectives on immigration policies and their impact on undocumented students. This is a unique opportunity to gain knowledge of the personal and emotional challenges these students face.
Dr. Joyce Hamilton Henry – Director of Advocacy at ACLU of Florida
Dr. Roy Kaplan – Past Executive Director of the National Conference of Christians and Jews for Tampa Bay
Attorney Rinky Parwani – Managing Attorney, Parwani Law, P.A.
Mr. Adrian Sarmiento – Student Success Coach, Shields Middle School & Resource Teacher, Lennard Adult and Community School
Marilyn Carrasquillo – Professor of Computer Science, Hillsborough Community College
Hillsborough Community College serves more than 46,000 students annually on five campuses and three centers throughout Hillsborough County. HCC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Other articles in SouthShore:
- HCC Apprentices Medal at Associated Builders and Contractors National Craft Championships
- HCC in the News: Colored confident: Kendra Frorup at HCC Ybor
- HCC in the News: SCC RN Club works with HCC Nursing Students
- HCC in the News: Rolling Pin Kitchen Emporium Awards Its First Scholarship To HCC College Student
- HCC in the News: HCC’s Funding Request Of Florida Legislature Includes SouthShore Campus